If you’re anything like me, you know how important it is to have a good toddler carrier in your parenting toolkit. Whether you’re going for a long walk, traveling with your little one, or just need a hands-free way to keep your toddler close, a carrier can be a real lifesaver. There are so many options on the market today. That’s why we have put together this guide to the best toddler carriers out there. These carriers are comfortable, safe, and easy to use. So let’s dive in and find the perfect carrier for you and your little one!
Tushbaby Hip Seat Baby Carrier
You might have seen this carrier on Shark Tank and it’s amazing for holding your toddler close! It is very lightweight and versatile. It weighs less than 1 pound and has large storage pockets, so you can use it as a diaper bag too! It can be used from newborns all the way up to 3-year-old toddlers (or up to 44 lbs) in four different positions: feeding, side carrying, front facing, and face to face. It’s a great carrier for travel when growing toddlers are tired and need some rest but also for everyday use.
Ergobaby Omni 360 All-Position Baby Carrier for Newborn to Toddler
This Ergobaby carrier is an all-in-one carrier that adapts to your growing baby from newborn to toddler (7-45lbs and fits babies from 0-48 months) without the need for a separate infant insert. You can carry your little one in all positions – facing in or out, on your hip or back, whichever is most comfortable for you both. It’s comfy and padded and the waist belt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort, especially post C-section.
Luvdbaby Premium Baby Backpack Carrier for Hiking
This hiking baby carrier features safety straps and stirrups for your little one’s comfort, as well as heavily padded straps and a load-bearing belt for your comfort on longer hikes. And with its adjustable height and ability to hold up to 40 pounds, this is the best backpack carrier that will grow with your child. Also, it has tons of pockets, including an insulated one for bottles, and even comes with a diaper changing pad for on-the-go cleanups, as well as a removable sun visor and included rain hood – this hiking carrier really has everything you need for successful hiking trips with your little one.
Hip Seat Carrier Baby
This carrier is a great option to hip carry your little one comfortably and securely while keeping your hands free. The carrier is suitable for growing babies between 0 and 36 months, and can hold up to 45lbs. It even comes with an upgraded version that has expanded storage space and net pockets, making it even more convenient for parents. And it also has a night reflective strip.
Baby Tula Toddler Carrier
One of the standout features of this kid carrier is the large mesh panel on the front, which provides extra ventilation for optimal breathability. It’s also adjustable, with multiple positions to carry your baby, including front facing out, facing in, and back carry. The Baby Tula carrier adjusts in three width settings to find a perfect fit as your baby grows from newborn to early toddlerhood – it can be used from 7 – 45 pounds.
Momcozy Baby Wrap Carrier Sling
This wrap carrier is a great option for parents who are looking for a comfortable, easy to use carrier for their baby or toddler. One of the best things about this child carrier is that it’s adjustable to fit different body types and sizes, from XXS-XXL, which means that both moms and dads can use it comfortably. This carrier is made of comfortable and skin-friendly fabric, easy to wear, and can be used for babies up to 50 pounds.
As you can see, many baby carriers can transform and work as a toddler carrier. This makes it very practical to use the same carrier and not needing a new one. It’s amazing if you find the best baby carrier that has the option for multiple carrying positions even for toddlers. All the carriers we mentioned are great and loved by many parents!
Things to look for in a carrier for toddlers
- Weight Limit: Make sure the carrier can support the weight range of your child. Wee looked for a high weight limit in the carriers we mentioned. There usually also is a minimum weight in addition to the maximum weight! Check the weight recommendations by the manufacturer before making a purchase.
- Comfort: The toddler carrier should be comfortable for both you and your child. Look for a carrier that has padded and adjustable shoulder straps and a waist belt to help distribute your child’s weight evenly. This way they can fall asleep easily.
- Adjustability: Look for a carrier that can be adjusted to fit your small children as they grow, as well as your own body size.
- Durability: A good toddler carrier should be made with sturdy materials that can withstand frequent use and washing.
- Safety: Look for a carrier that meets safety standards and has proper safety features such as adjustable buckles and straps.
- Ease of Use: The carrier should be easy to put on and take off, especially when you are dealing with a wriggling toddler.
- Carrying positions: Consider the different carry positions the toddler carrier offers, such as front, back, or hip, and choose the one that suits your needs and your child’s age and preferences. You want to be able to comfortably carry them no matter what you’re doing.
- Features: Look for a carrier with extras if you want, like a storage pocket or storage pouch, a sleep hood or a sun shade for sun protection for warm climates.
Types of carriers for toddlers
- Soft structured carriers (SSCs): A soft structured carrier has a padded waistband and padded shoulder straps that can be adjusted to fit the wearer. They usually have a weight limit of around 45 pounds.
- Mei Tais: These are carriers that have a rectangular body panel and four straps. The straps are tied around the wearer’s waist and shoulders to create a secure fit. Mei Tais usually have a weight limit of around 40 pounds.
- Ring slings: These are popular baby carriers made from a long piece of fabric with two rings sewn into one end. The fabric is threaded through the rings to create a secure loop for the baby to sit in. Ring slings usually have a weight limit of around 35 pounds.
- Woven wraps: These are carriers made from a long piece of fabric that can be wrapped around the wearer and the baby in various configurations. They have no weight limit, but the amount of weight that can be comfortably carried will depend on the wearer’s strength and endurance.
- Hiking carriers: These are the best carriers for long trips and hikes. They are structured child carriers designed for outdoor activities like hiking outdoors or another outdoor adventure. These toddler carriers usually have a sturdy frame backpack style and a weight limit of around 50 pounds, which means you can use it in toddler years with older kids, too.
- Hip carriers: These are carriers designed to be worn on the hip, with the baby sitting on one side of the wearer’s body, keeping baby close. They usually have a weight limit of around 40 pounds, making it great to carry toddlers past the baby stage.
We hope our top picks for the best carriers for toddlers helped you in your decision. No matter which carrier you choose, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe use. And don’t be afraid to try out several different carriers for toddlers until you find the best toddler carrier for you and your little one.